Subject: Re: Anim to Video Tips?
From: [email-masked] (Jonathon Bowman)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 1995 13:40:58 -0500

>	Buy a JAZZ drive ( 1 gig removable) and RENT output time on someone 
>else's PVR or whatever.
>
        Dumb question:  what's a jazz drive?  

>	Reasoning:  
>
>	1)  You'll eventually want a JAZZ drive anyway, so byte the bullet now 
>-- you'll thank me later.
>
>	2)  The under $500 anim-2-video solutions I've seen have REALLY 
>underwhelmed me.  I've been involved in video for 20 years  -- what a lot of
>computer geeks >think< is good video is crapola.  While buying one is not a 
>total waste of money (they are good for "scratch" tests), it is ~20% of a
PVR.  
>Why not wait, get your chops together and output a >good< tape?

        Makes sense...
>
>	3)  You can transfer your finished frames from your Jazz to a rental
>PVR fairly quickly, so it is not a major time sink. 
>
>	4)  In looking for a PVR to rent, you will necessarily meet other 
>animators and possibly network yourself into the industry, or at least have
some 
>good conversations.  These persons will also have tips on correct color
choices 
>for your animations  - a TV is NOT a computer monitor.
>

        On that note... does anybody on this list live in the
Kitchener-Waterloo area (ontario) and own a PVR?  I'm in the same dilemma as
the other guy.  Want to do a demo tape but I have no options, except for the
Scan converter at school (Averkey) but it's quality blows, and the computer
at school is only a 486DX/60 with 4 meg of RAM.  Trying to get even a
320x200x256 flic to play at realtime on it is a pain in the butt.  And
320x200 is hardly high enough quality for a demo tape.  Suggestions?

        Blacky

********************************
*    [email-masked]       *
* www.ionline.net/~jbowman/    *
*       Lightwaver and         *
* general computer enthusiast. *
*      - Devoted fan -         *
*    - of Sonic Youth -        *
*          -and-               *
*        -Pavement-            *
********************************